Naval ships shut down by coronavirus to operate in the Pacific

Naval ships shut down by coronavirus to operate in the Pacific

In the ten weeks after a large-scale coronavirus outbreak, an iconic US Navy naval ship was eliminated. Theodore Roosevelt has gone to sea and is conducting military operations in the Pacific.

Sailors in white uniforms lined the flight deck. Sailors in white masks stood 10 feet away from the virus in the final formal thanks. This is a formal thank you.

“We carry the railroad, which we usually don’t do. Navy captain Carlos Sardiello told the Associated Press in an interview with the ship on Thursday. “They are very excited. They were irritated and prepared to return to the sea to perform their mission. “

Roosevelt sailed into Guam on March 27, and the rapidly rising number of sailors was positive for the virus. Over time, more than 1,000 COVID-19-infected viruses triggered a long and systematic process, transferring about 4,000 seafarers to shore for quarantine and treatment, while still protecting and operating about 800 crew members including nuclear reactors Including high-tech systems to operate ships.

Slowly, the sailors were brought back to the ship in an orderly manner, while the rest of the others were asked to go ashore for a two-week quarantine. In late March, the ship, which had only about 3,000 crew members, went to sea for about two weeks of training, including recertification of the flight deck and fighter squadron, such as taking off and landing on the carrier.

Earlier this week, Roosevelt ended his training, returned to Guam, and picked up nearly 1,000 sailors who remained there to complete the isolation or manage and cooperate with those who are still on the island. When the ship entered the port, it was flying a flag marked “Don’t Give Up the Ship”, a famous naval battle slogan during the War of 1812.

“Our sailors did not abandon this ship. They fought and recovered it. Therefore, I think this is appropriate.” Sadiello said he asked another naval ship to borrow its flag. “The boat is clean, the boat is healthy, and there are no cases of COVID. So I said, okay, we will take a flight on Guam as a symbol of morale.”

RS1 Katie Van Drimmelen is one of the sailors who went ashore during the two-week training. She has tested positive for the virus and has been quarantined for about five weeks. She said that returning to the ship was like being welcomed by the deployers.

“It’s amazing,” said VanDrimmelen from Ogden, Utah. “It’s so comforting to return to our normal atmosphere. Everyone is very happy.”

Sadiello said it was a great feeling to watch the sailors board the ship, but he knew he had not finished. There are still about 350 sailors in Guam, either in isolation or as support staff.

“More and more sailors have reached the standard of returning to work, we are flying every day. Therefore, we are reducing this number every day.” Sardiello said. “But I really hope the remaining 350 people come back. We are working hard for this.”

He said that any sailor who could not recover in time will be transported back to the United States. The ship is expected to continue operating in the Pacific Ocean, and may return to San Diego later this summer.

Roosevelt has been at the center of an unresolved dispute that led to the dismissal of the ship’s former captain, the resignation of the Navy Secretary, and an extensive investigation into the causes of the incident and the handling of the senior naval commander.

Sadielo was once the captain of Roosevelt, but was suddenly dismissed in early April after Captain Brett Crozier was sacked for urging his commander to take faster action to stop the outbreak of the virus on board. Return to the ship for command.

After an initial review last month, senior Navy officer General Mike Gilday suggested that Crozier’s captain status be restored. But the Navy decided to conduct a more extensive investigation.

The review effectively delayed Crozier’s decision to reinstate the job. The review was completed and submitted to Gilday at the end of March. He is still reviewing a wide range of reports, including hundreds of pages of interviews, documents, and recommendations.

CMDR. Gilday spokesperson Nate Christensen said the admiral will need time to complete his review and make any decision.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *