The cuts were made after the United Nations appealed to raise US$2.42 billion in funding this week for less than about 50%.
Liz Grande said: “In the countdown to failure, the country is now facing the growing impact of the virus pandemic on people who are already severely malnourished and unable to cope with it. Cut.” The director of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs told CNN in a phone call on Wednesday that Sana’a is the capital of a divided country.
“General health services in 189 out of 369 hospitals in the country will be closed within three weeks. Water and sanitation services for 8.5 million people (including 3 million children) will be closed within 300 weeks. 2.5 million will be malnourished Of hungry children provide nutritional support. 8 to 10 weeks.” She warned.
On Tuesday, donors pledged US$1.35 billion out of the US$2.42 billion required by the United Nations for Yemen in a virtual meeting. “The worst scenario-this is what we are facing now-means that in the past five years, the number of deaths caused by the virus may exceed the total number of wars, diseases and hunger [in Yemen]”, Grande told CNN.
According to the location of the armed conflict and the incident data project, only more than 112,000 people were killed in the civil war in Yemen within five years-12,690 civilians were among the dead.
Estimates of the number of people dying of disease and malnutrition in the country vary widely. But the United Nations and other aid organizations are providing humanitarian aid to 10 million Yemeni humanitarian countries. The United Nations believes that this year the cholera epidemic has infected 110,000 people.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said at a meeting on Tuesday that four-fifths of Yemenis need “lifesaving assistance” and added that Yemen faces the world’s highest death in Covid-19 One of the death toll. The country’s ability to test for coronavirus is negligible, but medical aid agencies also believe that the scale of the infection may be large.
This week, in the first round of reductions after the funding conference, medical services for women giving birth in 150 hospitals supported by the United Nations were closed.
The five-year civil war in Yemen has put the Houthi rebels against the internationally recognized government, and the country has the support of the UAE and Saudi Arabia.
Earlier this year, UAE people withdrew their troops from the conflict, but continued to support the government in exile in Saudi Arabia. At the same time, Riyadh continued to support and fund tribal militias, and its air force had a punitive effect on the ground.
Much of the shortage of new funds is blamed on Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait apparently failed to file a joint pledge. The pledges made in previous years were approximately $1.5 billion. This year, the UAE and Kuwait did not provide any funds to the United Nations. Saudi Arabia provided US$500 million, of which US$300 million will be dedicated to the United Nations.
Since the second half of last year, Saudi Arabia has been eager to get rid of quicksand. The war has weakened support for Saudi Arabia in Washington. In Washington, only when the Trump administration uses emergency powers to prevent Congress from exporting arms to Saudi Arabia will the United States be able to provide Saudi Arabia with a new supply of weapons. .
Some diplomats believe that the Gulf countries’ reduction of funds to the United Nations may be partly an attempt to force Hughis to participate in peace negotiations.
Assistance to areas controlled by the rebels is often transferred and manipulated by the rebel government of Sana’a. The World World Programme of the United Nations often complains that Houthis food has been diverted, while the United States has reduced funding for the program to force it to improve.
The US$225 million in support provided by the United States to the World Food Program was only returned after Huseys agreed to stop the harassment of aid workers and the various “taxes” on aid materials entering its control.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE said they hope to continue to help Yemen through aid, but insist that they should not be transferred to the Houthis War. In the UAE, it is understood that the government is trying to find ways to continue to fund aid operations.
“The UAE has spared no effort to provide medical assistance to countries affected by the Covid-19 virus through cooperation with international organizations. From the beginning of March to the end of May, the UAE’s total assistance amounted to US$135 million,” the UAE Minister of Reem al Hashimy International Cooperation CNN’s statement said.
“In addition, the UAE Red Crescent Society continues to work in Yemen to help our Yemeni brothers. We deeply regret that three staff members were killed by terrorists in March. However, this will not prevent us from moving forward. Mission and humanitarian obligations.” al Hashimy added.
However, for UN officials, it is not clear how to perform their “duties”, and as a senior UN official said, “our actions have almost collapsed.”